- Home /
- Knife Care
Caring for Your Knives
LifeLong Cutlery is crafted from high-quality steel and is guaranteed to last a lifetime. However, here are a few things you should keep in mind to ensure the quality of your knives remains the best it can be.
- Fine cutlery should never be put in the dishwasher. Between the harsh detergents and extreme temperatures, the steel and handle may be damaged in the dishwasher.
- Always remember to keep your knives clean. Rinse and dry between tasks - especially when working with acidic foods - and wash with warm soapy water when use is complete. Pat dry with a soft cloth instead of air drying.
- Store cutlery in a safe place when not in use. Keeping your knives in their original box or in a knife block will ensure maximum safety.
- Always use a cutting board to protect your kitchen counters. Choose plastic or wooden cutting boards, as glass and ceramic may damage your blades.
Keeping Your Knives Sharp
A sharp knife is a safe knife. Keep your knives in tip-top shape with regular honing and sharpening.
You may have seen professional chefs using a honing steel before. With regular use, the edge of your knife blade will start to bend. A honing steel straightens the edge back to the correct angle.
Using a honing steel correctly requires skill and practice. For this reason, LifeLong Cutlery offers an Everyday Sharpener. This tool hones the blade and also sharpens it by removing a very small amount of steel to account for small nicks.
Using the everyday sharpener takes only 4 easy steps:
- Step 1: Rinse
- Step 3: Place the knife edge in the opening. Using light pressure, move the blade back and forth, from tip-to-tip, no more than five times.
- Step 2: Run the sharpener under water to wet the ceramic wheels.
- Step 4: Rinse the blade and pat dry.
In addition to regular maintenance, there will come a time when your knife blade will need to be repaired. In this case, you will need to remove a greater amount of steel. It is recommended that this type of sharpening be done every 6-8 months with regular use. LifeLong Cutlery offers a Sharpening Service, in which we will sharpen your knives for you. There is no cost for the actual sharpening; however, there will be a nominal fee for return shipping.
Although LifeLong Sharpening Service is available, our knives were designed to work with commercial sharpeners as well. This means you may safely purchase your own sharpener and never have to be without your knives. We recommend using an electric sharpener with diamond coated wheels.